(Youth workers, pass this along.)
You’re about to step into the youth ministry world. You said you’d help out…but now you’re sacred to death.
You should be.
Try these tips and I think you’ll come out alive.
1) Don’t try too hard: They can smell a fake a mile away. Be yourself, only nice.
2) Don’t try too little, either: Students want to know the adults care enough to talk to them. Don’t stand in the back with your arms crossed. Sit among the kids and let them get used to you.
3) Dress right for your age: Don’t try too hard there, either. And please: don’t wear anything too short or skimpy. It’s hard enough with the students much less if an adult reinforces inappropriate clothing choices.
4) Read the Scripture and pray before you come: The students may not be ready to listen to your opinions on life issues. You haven’t earned the right to be heard yet but the Word of God never changes.
5) Make yourself quietly useful: Help clean up, straighten chairs, take out trash, etc. You’ve just saved your youth worker tons of time.
You’ll do fine.