The holidays are coming and you may be doing some flying so here’s my best advice:
1) Travel neck pillows: don’t by them at the airport. Walmart sells them for like $9. Plus, get the kind that snap together at the two ends. That way you can hang it off your luggage or wheeled back pack.
2) Know the kind of plane you’re flying. CRJs and other regional jets are SMALL so prepare by having what you’ll need in a little bag to put in the seat pocket in front of you. That way u don’t have to worry about getting to your bag…which isn’t easy on those small jets.
3) Always have a snack in ur bag with you. It makes getting stuck on the Tarmac so much easier, especially since it may be awhile till snack service. Happened to me today.
4) If you get the chance to check your luggage for free, DO IT! Who wants to schlep your bags through the multi airports of your flight day? A lot of airlines will ask for people at the gate to check all the way thru especially on the small planes. That’s free.
5) The necessary scarf: For more than fashion, I almost always wear a scarf on flight days. It doubles as a blanket and covers up any travel spills.
6) Important workshop stuff always travels with me and never in my checked bag. I can do my training event or consultation in yesterday’s clothes but can’t without the one of a kind video clip or special Mac cord I’d need.
7) Don’t count on the wifi. I never leave home without downloading the essentials. You never know how good the signal will be at a retreat or conference center.
8) Park in the same area each time at ur home airport. When you come home tired, you won’t have to try and remember which area or level u parked at.
9) I bring my own pillow sham. My own pillow was a pain to pack so the pillow sham lets me stuff two squishy hotel pillows inside it to create the firm pillow I like with a familiar feel on my face.
10) Less clothes, more jewelry! I bring all my jewelry in a roll up thingy. Gives me a sense of variety and customization w/o packing a lot.
Think that’s about it for now. I’m about to land in Indy to send some time with UMC youth peeps. Love my job!!