(Although we are still in the first week of Advent, I’m posting the second lesson in the Advent series Chad Inman and I are partnering on. Well, he’s writing it and I’m editing it – so he gets the real credit! Read the post two posts ago for why the format is the same in each lesson of the series. Stephanie)
Advent Lesson Two: Crazy News
Game Idea: The Clap Game – see rules at: http://www.thatyouththing.com/resources/crowdbreakers.htm.
Bible Passage 1: Luke 1:1-14
Video: A Social Media Christmas – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sghwe4TYY18
Bible Passage 2: Matthew 1: 18-25
- Ladies, describe your feelings if you were in Mary’s situation?
- Guys, what would be going through your mind if you were Joseph?
- If you found yourself in Mary or Joseph’s shoes, how would your family have reacted?
- How did Mary and Joseph use their trust and faith in God in these surprising circumstances?
- What impact did God’s past faithfulness have on Mary and Joseph’s reactions?
- How does trust play into your life as you prepare for Christmas?
- How will that trust affect how you live out 2013?
Wrap Up: Say - It took a lot of trust in God for Mary and Joseph to go along with His plan. We saw from the video that Mary and Joseph probably lost a lot of friends and family and respect because of God’s plan. Mary and Joseph had to trust that God would get them through their rough situation. It takes a lot of trust for us to believe in the Christmas message, too. If we believe that Jesus is the Savior then that trust should affect what we believe and do about the rest of our lives, too.
Prayer Give the students time to share prayer requests AND praises (strongly encourage students to contemplate their blessings). Close by thanking God for sending His son and asking for help to trust in Him the way Mary and Joseph did.